How Well Do You Know the Bible?
Biblical illiteracy is a spiritual bane to many Christians, congregations, Bible Classes, etc. It has a profound effect on all aspects of life. Due to ignorance, Christians lack the ability to defeat temptation and remain faithful unto death. Therefore, they will lose their eternal reward. Children lack knowledge of the basic Bible stories to help them make the right decisions and live a life. Not knowing where to go for answers, they often turn to false religions for the answers. When working with the lost, in the past Christians could at least expect their prospective converts to have some knowledge of the Bible. Today, many are completely ignorant of the most basic Bible stories and facts.
Complete the test below to see how well you know the Bible. Some of the answers that are way off the mark come from actual children or young adult responses.
1. Which one is part of the Ten Commandments?
a. Remember the Sabbath Day and keep it holy.
b. You shall have no other dogs before me.
c. Do not bow down before any greasy images.
d. Tithe of all your possessions.
2. Who was Israel’s first judge?
d. Judge Judy
3. King Solomon had 700 wives and 300…
b. over the limit credit cards
4. Lot’s wife was turned into
a. a pillar of salt
b. a pillar of salt by day, but a ball of fire by night
c. a pillow of salt
5. Who was the father of King David?
a. His mom’s husband
6. In Genesis, what happened to the serpent after God cursed it?
a. The woman, Eve, crushed its head.
b. It had a hissy fit
c. Was made to crawl on its belly.
7. Lot’s wife was turned into a pillar of what?
c. The community
8. The child with the name Maher-shalall-hash-baz was the son of whom?
b. A parent with a sick sense of humor.
9. Samson was known in the Bible as the strong man who never cut his…
10. What is the Golden Rule?
a. Share and share alike
b. Do unto other before they do unto you
c. Do to others what you would have them do to you
d. Do not do to others what you do not want others to do to you
11. Who built pagan temples to please all his foreign wives?
d. Donald Trump
12. The prophet Daniel was thrown into a den of what?
a. Women selling Tupperware
b. Cub scouts
13. The prophet Joel had a vision of a plague of what?
a. Jehovah’s Witnesses going door to door.
14. What was Gideon famous for?
a. Judge of Israel defeating enemy with 300 soldiers armed with trumpets & torches.
b. Judge of Israel who helped Deborah
c. Putting Bibles in hotel rooms.
15. Who went to live in the land of Nod?
b. Rip van Winkle
c. Sleeping Beauty
16. Christians have only one spouse. This is called
17. What mighty empire conquered Jerusalem in 586 BC?
18. Which of King David’s many wives “despised him in her heart?”
c. The one who had to change all the diapers
19. Who denied Jesus three times?
d. The bank loan officer
20. Who was the first king mentioned in the Bible?
c. King James
21. What are the epistles?
a. wives of the apostles
b. letters of the New Testament
c. same as gospels
22. According to Revelation, what place is never dark?
d. Motel 6 because they leave the lights on
23. According to the book of Proverbs what is good medicine?
a. The two tablets God gave Moses
b. A merry heart
c. Obedient sons
d. Gaining of wisdom and knowledge
24. To be baptized by John the Baptist, what did a person have to do?
a. Get wet
b. Bring forth fruits of repentance
c. Believe in Jesus, the resurrected Son of God
d. Confess before men that Jesus was the son of God.
25. What was Samson’s final dramatic act recorded in the Bible?
a. He invented Samsonite luggage.
b. He showed up at Wrestlemania with a mohawk
c. He spiked his hair with gel and opened a salon with Delilah
d. He destroyed the Philistine temple.
Bonus: For five points name the five books of the Law. (Hint: they are not Civil, Criminal, Traffic, Divorce, and Small Claims).
Answer will be found in our next article at the end of the New & Notes. If you really need them.
– Daniel R. Vess